Photonics Laboratory

Originally constructed within the Department of Physics at Oxford University in the 1920’s this former vaulted lecture theatre had been unsympathetically refurbished in the 1960’s.

We stripped out the retro-fitted concrete tiered seating and installed a double storey facility with laboratories below and open plan offices and meeting room on a new mezzanine to form the Oxford University’s Institute of Experimental Photonics.

The mezzanine floats past the previously concealed stone windows, and the resulting space is transformed by natural light and broad aspects, while the strong wall colour emphasises the vault.

We also designed and fabricated the complete furniture package including workstations, steel & glass modular conference & coffee tables, and storage solutions.

.

Learning, Workplaces